Thursday 16 September 2010

The Saltair Wrap-Up

Well, my final day in Saltair is drawing to a close.  We finished this leg of my journey with a walk around Westwood Lake.  This was actually a new setting for me, and although it was great getting to re-visit many of the sights from my childhood, this new location was equally excellent.  Westwood Lake seems like it would be a terrific spot for a swim in warmer weather, but we were there for the 6km path that loops around the lake.  This was really ideal since I think that 6km is a great distance for a casual morning walk.  As usual the weather looked like it really wanted to rain on us, but it was polite enough to refrain from doing so.  We even got a few sunny patches in there!


Here's a view of the lake itself:


Before departing Westwood Lake I did snap this photo:


My Grandpa was actually the first to pick up on the strange juxtaposition of these two rules, which seem to imply that not only must you leash your dog, but you must also never give your dog any booze.  I thought that was a little unfair, why can't a dog enjoy a beer?

Well, after we left the lake we headed into Nanaimo for some lunch.  We went to a pub that Grandma and Grandpa had heard of, but hadn't tried yet called the Fox and Hounds.  It was another great pub meal!  This is the second pub that we've been to that I've had confirmed as being PROPERLY British in style, and in comparing it to the pubs I've been to in Toronto I'm beginning to wonder if we have anything that even comes close.  I think I need to get out to England to make some comparisons ASAP!

Close to the pub was a store that specialized in foods imported from England, so we stopped in there to complete the British Experience of the day.  I got to try Jaffa Cakes, and I'm bringing home some Branston Pickle.  I'm a happy guy!

We were all feeling a bit sleepy this afternoon, so we passed the time in a leisurely fashion; watching old home videos and going through vacation photos.

Tomorrow morning we're all getting up and heading down to Victoria to check out the gardens there.  The forecast is calling for cloudy skies, but not much rain, so it will be my last chance to get in an outdoor activity before Friday where they're calling for significant amounts of rain.  I haven't quite decided how I want to spend a rainy day in Victoria, but I'll figure something out.  Until tomorrow everyone.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

There seems to be a food theme on this trip to. =)

Colin Young said...

Oh, I can't compete with my brother for being a foodie, but I still love a good meal. :) You could say that there's a food theme to every day, which is also why I insist on a walking theme to avoid any getting fat subplots. ;)

Unknown said...

Jealousy rising...
You'd better share some of the Branston Pickle!

Debbie said...

Yes the subplots will get you every time lol

Jabbles said...

Looks like a nice lake for kayaking.
Graydyn and I were talking, if you have time you should try to score some Yakitori in Vancouver before you leave.